Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The City on a Hill

Our family lives on the east side of Superior, right on the edge of Lake Superior.  We have a beautiful view of Barker’s Island Marina and the lake.  If you look north from our house you can see the hillside of Duluth, “The City on a Hill.”

At night we have a gorgeous view of the lights that are shining from throughout “The City on a Hill.”  Just the other day Sarah noticed how stunning the sun was as it reflected off the lights of the city in the morning.  Sometimes I’ll wake up in the middle of the night and look out on our view of the city – and the lights are always on!  It is a striking reminder of the importance of light.

During the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus talked about light.  You may be familiar with Matthew 5:14-16.   “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.”

I know firsthand that a city on a hill cannot be hidden.  I see it every night I look out my window.  It is constant.

And what about my light?  Can my light be hidden?  Does my light shine before others?  Is my light constant?

Jesus said we “are the light of the world.”  He encourages us to let our light shine before others.  God desires us to be a constant light for Him in this very dark world.

Is your light shining today?


-Pastor Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment